Thursday, December 01, 2005

100 Things About Me: A Navel Gazing Extravaganza

I was tagged (thanks Monica) so here it is. It only took me a month. Feel free to comment on it but be nice :-)

1. I love Snapple Green Tea with Lime.

2. I love massages. If I ever become filthy rich, the first thing I’m doing is arranging for a daily massage.

3. There are three things guaranteed to make me cry: a wedding, a funeral and watching "A Baby Story" on TLC.

4. I'm hopelessly addicted to lip balms of all kinds and varieties. I cant go to bed without it. No. I am not joking.

5. People always tell me I look exactly like their sister, friend, half-cousin, a girl from back home, or someone else they know.

6. I'm adopted.

7. I found out by accident when I was 31

8. Turns out that a lot of people knew about it. I, of course, wasn't one of them.

9. I found my birth-parents in less than a year. It's a cool story.

10. I've also helped a birthmom find her daughter.

11. I love Slurpees and those disgusting nachos from 7-11

12. My uniform is pretty much jeans w/ fitted v-neck t-shirts and sandals or sneakers. If it’s hot, the jeans turn into shorts. I simply have no occasion to wear anything cute or trendy. Just so you know, I wasn’t always like this.

13. I really loved the show Thirtysomething. I live for the day that it might finally be released on DVD.

14. I also really loved My So-Called Life, Felicity and Freaks & Geeks.

15. I am powerless over cookies, donuts and pizza.

16. I think I’m the only person in the world that is not in love with Starbucks coffee. But their black & white cookies rock.

17. I used to smoke. I still think about it and miss it but the smell really bugs me now. It’s a love/hate thing.

18. I have an irrational fear that when my husband leaves the house, something terrible will happen to him and that by saying "I love you, be careful" I can somehow protect him. If I forget to say it, it nags at me.

19. I actually like going to the dentist.

20. I also like getting shots.

21. Yes, I know these things make me something of a freak.

22. I lost my virginity at age 16.

23. I think Jack Black is the funniest person on the planet.

24. I used to be really skinny but I always thought I wasn't.

25. At this moment (1/2/06), I am 5'9, 160 lbs. The excuse that I "just had a baby" isn't working for me anymore.

26. I refuse to take a side in the breast vs. bottle battle. I do both.

27. I am mostly Irish w/ a little Welsh and English. I intend to visit Ireland someday.

28. I LOVE taking baths. I take one whenever I have the chance.

29. I typically don’t use any bath salts or bubble bath. Just plain water and lots of reading material.

30. Making continual eye contact w/ someone while conversing freaks me out. It’s too intense. I stop being able to think.

31. My favorite candy bar is Kit Kat

32. My favorite beer is Guinness but I hardly drink since becoming preggo with baby #1 (6 very long years ago)

33. I have a tattoo on my waist, above my hipbone. It's a sacred heart (heart w/ flames and flowers) w/ my husband's name on it.

34. I have a pierced nose. Haven’t worn a ring in it since before baby #1. A nosering seemed to interfere with the search for gainful employment. Additionally, babies like to pull nose rings, which hurts like holy hell.

35. Manhattan is my favorite city. I really noticed how many brunettes there are in NYC when I last visited. I felt like I’d found my tribe.

36. I was shy as a child. Now you can’t shut me up.

37. I am a classic underachiever.

38. I used to have a Louise Brooks bob. Later I had Bettie Page hair, but that was merely a coincidence.

39. You may have deduced by now that I am a brunette. I like my naturally dark brown hair color.

40. Now I have almost one-length mom hair that is best suited to ponytails.

41. My children are both blonde. I've been mistaken for the nanny more than once.

42. My dream is to have a big, old house with a huge kitchen, a front porch and giant oak trees outside. I imagine raising my children in this home and that my husband and I will live there forever. If you knew me 10 yrs ago all of this would seem very out of character. Actually, if you knew me now it would, too.

43. My favorite ice cream is Baskin-Robbins chocolate chip mint

44. While I do like dogs, I am definitely a cat person. I think that people who don't like cats just can't handle that a cat will not submit to them the way a dog will and to me, that screams "I HAVE CONTROL ISSUES!!!!"

45. I was a vegetarian for 6 yrs. I feel a lot of guilt over eating animals. I always try to buy meat that comes from free-range, humanely-raised animals to make up for it.

46. I think people should be severely and publicly punished for abusing animals or children

47. I love to read. I'll read almost anything.

48. My first baby was born by an elective C-Section. It was a bad decision.

49. My second baby was a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After C-Section) and everyone tried to talk me out of it. It was a total success (if you don't count the episiotomy, hemhorroids and incontinence).

50. With my second child I went to an OB practice staffed mostly of midwives. I highly recommend it. (and for the record, I gave birth in a hospital with all the conveniences and benefits of modern medicine. I wan't on the floor in my barn or whatever weird ideas some people have about midwives)

51. The birth of my second child was awesome. Even with 36 hours of labor it will always be one of the greatest experiences of my life.

52. My husband I decided to get married 4 months after we started seeing each other. I had known him for 4 years as an acquaintance of my ex-boyfriend.

53. Six years into our marriage I got pregnant and had a miscarriage at 11 weeks. I had to wait a week for the D & C.

54. A year and a half later, my husband wanted to try again. I got pregnant on the first try.

55. With baby #2, I didn’t think I’d be able to get pregnant. I got pregnant the second try. Ovulation scopes are a great investment.

56. I always planned on not getting married or having children and look at me now. "Man plans, God laughs"

57. Being a parent is harder than any job I’ve ever had in the outside world but now I can’t even imagine my life without my children. I love them more than life itself.

58. When we were DINC’s (dual income, no children) I was super lazy. But we also did things I only dream about now, like eating out all the time, napping in the afternoon, going out and having a social life.

59. I also experienced several episodes of clinical depression. All I can say is thank God for Zoloft.

60. I had postpartum depression after my first baby.

61. I used to always dream about my teeth falling out in all different ways.

62. I’ve never had a dream that I can fly but I have dreamed I could breathe underwater.

63. When I wasn’t yet 21, I used to have recurring dreams about losing my fake ID.

64. I’m slightly germophobic thanks to a Discovery channel show about microbes.

65. I love bacon.

66. I hate the time between 11am and noon. It's hardly morning but not afternoon either.

67. I love horses. I miss riding so much. The ability to have a horse is probably the only thing that could convince me to move out to the sticks.

68. I can’t wrap my head around $400 shoes; especially not those super-pointy stiletto ones. They make your feet look huge. I can’t wait for them to go out of style.

69. I live in one of the wealthier areas of a large city. Our house is really small but the schools are great. Does this make sense? Sometimes I think it would be better to go buy and renovate a giant old house in a crappy part of town. Double my square footage while living in a "transitional" neighborhood or stay in a nice, safe shoebox...what to do, what to do? If you have any good advice, please share.

70. I hate grocery shopping and I hate cooking dinner every night but I really,truly believe that if I had the big kitchen I dream of, outfitted with oodles of helpful goodies from Williams-Sonoma, I'd probably like cooking a whole lot more. I don't think anything could make me like grocery shopping except maybe doing it on my computer and having it delivered. Hey — I said it was a dream.

71. In this house, you are guaranteed to have spaghetti at least 2x a month. Pot roast or pork roast at least 1x a month, meatloaf at least 1x a month and a Boboli homemade pizza at least every other week.

72. Domestically speaking, I am pretty much a failure.

73. But I am an awesome decorator. I have a great sense of style.

74. I can't go to bed with dirty feet

75. My first car was a Maverick. It was fast. I got a ticket 10 minutes after I left the house the first time my parents let me drive at night.

76. I've met a lot of famous musicians. Only a few were truly interesting.

77. I can't smoke pot. It makes me really tired and stuffs up my nose. If I have to actually go somewhere, paranoia ensues. Not good, not good.

78. I have a BA in Mass Communications.

79. Unlike most of the general population, I like the smell of patchouli.

80. I also like lavender but I loathe anything rose scented.

81. My favorite perfume is Angel by Thierry Mugler.

82. My favorite guilty-pleasure fast food is Arby's Beef n Cheddar. Yes, I know how incredibly scary they are. No, it doesn't deter me in the least.

83. Hats always give me a headache so I don’t wear them unless at the beach.

84. Inexplicably, I love all things Mary Engelbreit. Once again, if you knew me, this would seem odd.

85. I know what you're thinking and no, I don't have Mary Engelbreit stuff all over my house. I only have a notepad and some magazines.

86. I like going to yard sales and thrift stores.

87. I’m always on the prowl for mid-century and Danish modern stuff.

88. I used to collect it but now I just find it and sell it on eBay.

89. Unless it’s vintage enamel cookware like Copco, Le Creuset, Cathrineholm etc. I like to keep that stuff.

90. I have a school & office supplies fetish

91. I only wear white gold and silver jewelry.

92. I'm a night owl. So is my husband. Before kids, it was not unusual for us to be up until 4am on a weekend night without even going out.

93. I like my in-laws.

94. My favorite flower is a tie between irises and a tulips.

95. I want to move out of this state because of hurricanes. My husband wants to stay. Needless to say, this is a point of contention.

96. I want to live somewhere that is pedestrian-friendly and isn’t absurdly cold. Any ideas?

97. Fall is my favorite season and Halloween is my favorite holiday.

98. I frequently use my toes to pick things up..

99. I have pretty feet. Well, I used to. Baby #2 made them wider *sigh*

100. Except for my black toenail. I dropped something on it and it’s in the process of coming off. It's pretty gross.

Go Back to Main Page

10 Comments:

  • Re: #30 In the unlikely event that we ever happen to find ourselves face to face, do you suppose that you could make an exception? It would make things much nicer for me. Thanks :-)

    Re: #57 I would be suspicious of any parent that doesn't Amen to #57. Well, unless they were one of the late Menendez parents. Then it would be warranted, don't you think?

    By Blogger IzzyMom, at 1/08/2006 01:14:00 PM  

  • Oh. My. God. Wizzy. I always thought we had a lot in common but this list has me freaked. completely.

    I am in 100% agreeance and identical to you with numbers
    2
    3
    17
    18
    19
    22
    24
    28
    34 (except for the baby portion but totally including the gainful employment obstacle)
    46
    47
    55 had me enthralled, I was just researching Ovulation scopes YESTERDAY
    61
    73
    74
    86
    90
    91
    91
    97 but Add Turkey day because it's mine and husband's birthdays
    98
    and 99

    HOLY CRAP! Wow. Now I know why I stumbled across you!

    COOL!
    :) Meagan

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/11/2006 06:49:00 PM  

  • Well, GMTA and all that... :-)

    By Blogger IzzyMom, at 1/24/2006 09:56:00 AM  

  • I've visited a bunch, but never read this before. We have a lot in commomn....um...in common too.

    4. I'm addicted to lip balm. Burt's Bees is my balm of choice right now.

    18. I have the irrational fear too. But mine manifests itself a little differently. You always hear stories about how people "just knew" and the last thing they said was "I love you". I always worry if I forget to say it...but am afraid if I do I am playing into making it happen...does that make sense? Okay, I'm a freak.

    19. I like the dentist too. I always say it's because it's somewhere I have to go and it's guaranteed peace and quiet.

    24. Ditto. I weighed like nothing, but never thought so. Never showed my midriff (lame ass word). Thought my butt was huge.

    26. Breast vs. bottle. I did both as well. I still think breastfeeding is best, but would be a hypocrite to be all militant.

    28. Me too. I got all cool bath stuff from my husband for Valentine's Day. I like bubbles or I feel too exposed.

    30. The eye contact. Oh yeah. People must think I am weird, but I'm not big on eye contact.

    31. I also have tattoos. I have two. I've been tattooed four times. I got two when I just turned 18. They were lame, so I covered them. I have pansies and violets on my stomach and a butterly and scripture on my lower back. Both are on the largish side. I want another.

    37. underacheiver. yep.

    39.I have the mom hair too. I would love your hair color. I've spent many years dyeing my hair your color. I am a reddish brown. Puke.

    45. I am a vegetarian again now.

    46. Abusing animals and children is my big issue...and the elderly.

    47. I also will read anything.

    Dude, I just realized how long this is getting. And how freaky, stalkerish. I think I'll just nod and smile to myself while reading instead. We just have a lot of similarites. Nuff said.

    By Blogger Mel, at 2/17/2006 09:35:00 PM  

  • "35. Manhattan is my favorite city. I really noticed how many brunettes there are in NYC when I last visited. I felt like I’d found my tribe."

    So true! I have very dark, very curly hair and feel comfortable in New York City. On my honeymoon in North Carolina, I noticed I had the darkest hair of any Caucasian person I came across, and I suspect that that was no accident.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 2/23/2006 08:25:00 AM  

  • Fascinating reading! I do love these 100 Lists.

    We have a bit in common, but what strikes me is that you seem like an amalgam of me and my sister.

    I kind of hate Mary Englebreit, though. I make up for it by being a cat person (the control issue thing never occurred to me, I think it's rather a good point).

    By Blogger Mrs. Harridan, at 2/24/2006 03:46:00 PM  

  • Hi, am really enjoying your blog! look forward to more!

    By Blogger Holly, at 2/26/2006 10:51:00 AM  

  • I pick things up with my toes too, and I also like my feet. Used to be a vegetarian, but pot made me productive.

    By Blogger noncommon, at 3/21/2006 10:46:00 PM  

  • Found you via my SIL's blog, Table for Five.

    Yet another kindred spirit for you. We share numbers

    2
    5
    12
    16
    17
    18
    19
    24
    25
    29
    second half of 32
    35
    37
    39
    42
    44
    first half of 45 (I was vegetarian for health reasons)
    46
    47
    50
    51ish (my first child was 36 hour labor)
    60ish (second baby)
    64
    65
    68
    use to 69
    74
    76
    77
    79
    86
    use to 91
    92
    93
    96
    97
    and 98.

    Glad I stumbled on to your blog, now I don't feel so alone or weird ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2006 08:49:00 AM  

  • Great Minds Think Alike, Indeed! I share with you:
    4.
    6.
    12.
    15.
    17.
    18. I say "Love you, drive carefully".
    22.
    27.Birth parents were Irish, so was Adoptive Mom, Adoptive Dad is Welsh/English
    30. I have to force myself to look people in the eye.
    44.
    46.
    47.
    48. Technically it was "failure to progress" after my Doctor insisted on inducing me on my due date. I wish I had insisted on waiting to go into labor naturally.
    53. Two years into marriage, blighted ovum at 9 weeks, D&C
    54. 10 months later, first try
    56. Hubby and I said we didn't want children-ha!
    57. YES YES YES
    58.
    59. Prozac, Zoloft, Serzone, Wellbutrin
    65.
    71. You just described my basic menu! Plus hard or soft shell tacos or burritos, and Hamburger Helper Stroganoff (ugh) that my husband loves.
    72.
    86.
    90.
    92.
    97. Half, I like Christmas. A Lot.
    99. Boyfriends and now husband always make a fuss about my cute feet. Ick.

    So there you go! Another example of like-minded people finding each other on the Internet. Sweet!

    By Blogger Table4Five, at 4/07/2006 11:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home