Thursday, December 08, 2005

Teeth

My daughter just lost her first tooth on 12/3. At the risk of sounding completely cliché, when did she grow up? How did it happen so fast? It really seems like yesterday that she was a newborn. It makes me sad to think about how fast the time passes. I always question if I've paid enough attention to every moment, every detail. I wonder if I've documented things enough because I know how the memory fails. Conversely, growing up doesn't make her sad at all. Like all children, she embraces everything ahead of her, everything that relates to being "bigger".

I make a concerted effort to keep her from growing up too fast but I have to tell you; it isn't easy. The whole world is against you. Nobody is interested in preserving your child's innocence. If marketers and purveyors of media had their way, they'd just start kids out watching rated-R movies in pre-school and selling them beer, cigarettes and video games like Vice City in kindergarten. It may sound like an exaggeration but really, that's where they want them to end up anyway. Why not just start them off there and skip the laborious indoctrination? Fuckers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home