Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Do People Still Say "Hump Day"?

Happy hump day!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts on the pre-K 5 flasher. Also, a lot of new names down there, which you should know, I just luuuuurve. I'll be checking ya'll out later.

Right now, however, I am feeling a spark of inspiration crossed with nostalgia. No, not the kind of inspiration that might produce a high quality Club-Mom-Will-Pay-You-Money-to-Blog caliber of post. No sireee. That kind of thing cannot be forced. Today, instead of regaling you with deep thoughts, biting commentaries, or the type of LOL! posts we all love, I'm posting old pictures (because who doesn't love looking at old photos of people they don't even know?) and perhaps my shopping list.

Oh good. You're still here. Thought that shopping list business might send you scampering off to a more enticing destination, like sayyyyy...the C-Span website.
Well...to your left is a picture of me, Miss Phi Delta Badass (I stole that from Dawn) at the Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta in 1993. I think the show was Helmet, 311 and some other up-and-coming bands. We were in town for the Great Atlanta Pot Festival, except it had been rescheduled so we just did other stuff, like this. "We" means me and four of my girlfriends. We all piled into my VW Golf and drove to Georgia from Florida. Who knew a Golf could hold that much estrogen? I think later that night we went out clubbing and ended up at a loft party all night. Another night we went out and ended up at Backstreets , a longstanding gay nightclub, until sunrise because it stayed open until 6am. Ah...those were the days. I seriously think 1993, the year before I got married, was one of the "funnest" ever. Later that year, hubz and I hooked up. We got married about 10 months later and the rest is history. You may or not be able to tell that my hair is striped and kind of reddish. All I can say is never, EVER, trust your friend when she says you should let HER do your highlights instead of going to a reputable salon because she's a licensed beautician. The tip off should have been that she was working as a nanny. Turns out she got fired from Supercuts. Later, I would end up coloring it red and continue to do so for about a year, until I got sick of getting my dark roots done every 6 weeks. I could never be a bottle blonde. That touch-up business really blows... So check me out in my vegan-friendly, super-duper ugly non-leather purple Birkenstocks. I would later leave those behind on either the Butthole Surfers or Stone Temple Pilots tour bus. No....I wasn't shagging rock stars. You've read "I'm With the Band" one time too many :-P Another story, another time. (I don't smoke anymore, by the way, and I wasn't really a badass. I just look like one in these pix)

So yes, my shopping list. I need:

• Nursing pads, preferably the Johnson & Johnson ones because I swear, they add about a bra-size. (they're also "boob-shaped" because breasts should never have right angles on them) The J&J nursing pads...oh, how I will miss them when we finally wean and my boobs deflate.

• Something chocolate. The cravings, I must stop them.

• Organic milk, which is a total crap shoot around here lately, unless you need lactose-free, which is always in stock and very gross, IMO.

• A new Pur filter because our water is SO chlorinated, I might as well be drinking from my assbite neighbor's pool.

• A new toaster oven because ours, a mere three years old, has shit the bed. Have you tried to find an under-the-counter toaster oven recently? I think I'd have better luck locating a Dodo bird. Is there a black market for under-the-counter appliances? Email me.

And, as a public service to all of you, here are some products I have recently tried and found utterly disgusting (Please note that the Lipton pasta is the WHOLE GRAIN version. The regular kind is okay.) Consider yourself warned :-)
Oh, how things have changed... Now tell me, what were you doing in 1993?

ADDENDUM: You guys! Your compliments are SO sweet but in all fairness, you should know that I'm just a very tired and very unhot mom these days ;-)

26 Comments:

  • Ok Love that you were a rockin chic!! Those pics are awesome!!
    Thanks for the heads up on the goods!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 03:49:00 PM  

  • LOVE the pics. You do look badd, in a good way. Dying to hear the story of the lost fake Birkies...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 04:22:00 PM  

  • Great pics! I should dig out some old pics and scan them in one of these days. Maybe I'll save it for a rainy day, when I can't think of anything to post.

    Tried the savory sides, and gotta agree - YUCK!

    By Blogger Christina, at 3/15/2006 04:23:00 PM  

  • 1993..hmm. What was I doing? Well I was married 3 years at that point, going to beauty school, and hubz was working 2 jobs. We would club with our friends every weekend. Fun times!

    I just LOVE your pics!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 04:42:00 PM  

  • It's already been said, GREAT PICTURES! I was pretty hot back in 1993, need to dig up some photos. We were in Georgia, did a lot of traveling to the Florida Gulf Coast that year.

    YUCK! I've tried ALL of those things. And again I add YUCK!

    By Blogger Chaotic Mom, at 3/15/2006 04:42:00 PM  

  • I was also driving my VW Golf in 1993! It was a good little car. I'm glad you lost the birks...other than those...you were hot! You still are. I like the new profile pic.
    In 1993 I was a sophomore cheerleader dating a varsity football player. How cliche!

    By Blogger Mel, at 3/15/2006 05:03:00 PM  

  • Mmmm...I believe that was the year I began to channel my inner grunge! I was slowly but surely building a collection of flannel shirts and Doc Marten's. I was in the process of breaking up with my ass of a boyfriend, preparing to go buck wild (it looks like I wasn't the only one).

    By Blogger Bridgermama, at 3/15/2006 05:16:00 PM  

  • We got our space saver B&D toaster oven at Canadian Tire.
    www.canadiantire.ca
    You have to buy the thing that holds it under the counter separately.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 05:51:00 PM  

  • We got our space saver B&D toaster oven at Canadian Tire.
    www.canadiantire.ca
    You have to buy the thing that holds it under the counter separately.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 05:52:00 PM  

  • What an awesome juxtaposition of those pictures and your shopping list. I loved this post!!!

    And can't you get that toaster on e-bay? I would be you could!

    You are so hot, btw!

    By Blogger MrsFortune, at 3/15/2006 06:10:00 PM  

  • OMG - you are such a hottie.

    And me, I was a freshman in college.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 06:44:00 PM  

  • Wow weren't you awesome looking.

    1993: I was living in Providence (an experience that would put me in therapy for seven years), relatively friendless, in a terrible on-off relationship with a co-worker, so bored out of my skull that sometimes I went to the gym TWICE a day. Sunday morning were spent with a flashlight at the flea market at 6am to beat the dealers.

    I had no life, but boy, my body and my home furnishings were rockin'.

    By Blogger Mom101, at 3/15/2006 07:08:00 PM  

  • 93? One year out of college. Still skinny, but thought I was fat. Could live a month on 4.00 in my checking account. I think that was the year I got engaged, after getting dumped by my now husband and taking up with a HUGE basketball player from the bahamas who taught me to Soca, then dumped him when Terrance propsed, a month later when he found out I was shagging the enormous black man. Let's just say, I have a talent for finding black men in Vermont.

    And would it shock you to know I still have several pairs of Birkis? It's the Vermont thing, isn't it?

    BTW, you will tell your children that you attended only Christian Youth concerts and that you drank Cider.

    By Blogger Dawn, at 3/15/2006 07:50:00 PM  

  • 1993

    You: A hottie bad girl
    Me: Freshman at the University of Miami. Pre-med. Definitely not a bad girl. Yet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 08:31:00 PM  

  • Foxy Lady! Holy smokes. :-)

    I graduated from high school in 1993. I looked extremely dorky, and wore lots of body suits & choker necklaces. Blegh.

    I'm sad to hear the organic beans & rice suck. Not that they'll ever end up in my local stores, but I'd heard about them and thought, "Hey! I'd buy these!"

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 3/15/2006 10:28:00 PM  

  • '93? Still in college, playing in bands, trying to find myself (still trying to find myself).

    And you do look like a badass in those pics.

    By Blogger Chris, at 3/15/2006 11:03:00 PM  

  • You may be a tired Mom these days, but I bet your still a hottie.

    By Blogger Marcie, at 3/16/2006 08:38:00 AM  

  • I want more old pics, you Hottie McBabe!

    By Blogger Arabella, at 3/16/2006 08:46:00 AM  

  • The pictures are great. I must say I actaully like the pasta stuff....when I was pregant and would eat anything at 3am. ;)

    By Blogger Kat, at 3/16/2006 09:23:00 AM  

  • 1993? I was a hot young moccassin and daisy dukes wearin' thing - a nice firm b-cup (oh so long gone), and free, free, free! Damn that was fun!

    By Blogger noncommon, at 3/16/2006 11:27:00 AM  

  • 1993 was a good year for love. I met my future husband that year too. Lucky 13 years together!

    By Blogger ms blue, at 3/16/2006 11:27:00 AM  

  • In 1993 I was living in Atlanta! And I may have actually been at that Great Atlanta Pot Festival, although I was at one in Piedmont Park (maybe 1994?) and the Black Crows were playing. We went to all kinds of stuff like that, because we lived in Midtown and it was all right there - the pot fest, the gay pride parades, concerts, art festivals, so much fun stuff.

    Oh, and 1993 was the year we got married!

    By Blogger Amy, at 3/16/2006 12:29:00 PM  

  • 1993-You:SO Pretty!
    Me: A Newlywed, working full-time at a Credit Union and enjoying spontaneous dinners out and trips to the movies with my husband. Also still a B-Cup.

    Did you say Pot Festival? Oh man, that is just NOT going to happen in Lansing. And I too would really like to hear about the Stone Temple Pilots Tour bus. You designed their posters? Or t-shirts? Or managed their wardrobe? TELL!!

    By Blogger Table4Five, at 3/16/2006 12:44:00 PM  

  • You look like a total badass! Rock on sister! I think I was doing pretty much the same thing in 1993.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2006 06:09:00 PM  

  • Izzy, you are gonna love this:

    K (looking at your pic on my laptop): Who's that?

    J (distracted): Izzy.

    K: Why are you reading about Izzy?

    J: Because she's funny and she reads me too.

    K: Oh...she's a blogger?

    J (patiently, as if speaking to a child): Yes...

    K: I thought she was someone famous.

    By Blogger Julie Marsh, at 3/19/2006 10:05:00 AM  

  • Woo hoo! Sexy! 1993? Let me think.... Graduating from college, falling in love with the husb, and partying like it was 1999. Way too much partying, but I sure miss it!

    By Blogger Kristi, at 3/19/2006 08:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home