Sunday, January 22, 2006

You're Someone's Mother?

Not much happening today.Had a busy, busy day yesterday. Went down to the water and watched a big parade and stayed for fireworks. Met up with friends and their kids. Saw tons of people I know or knew.

It's funny how all the people I used to party with are now having kids. They must be thinking the same thing about me that I am about them, which is: "Holy shit...I can't believe you're someone's parent". Some of these people made me look like a nun. They could out-drink, out-drug and out-everything me. There are good and bad sides to living in the same city for 20 years.

I also ran into a lot of people from my mom's club. I was an officer in this club but since I got pregnant with my last child, I lost interest. Naps kind of took over my life. Now the baby's naps rule my life. But really, while every single person in the club was super nice, I just felt a little out of place. I'm not sure that a former party girl with a pierced nose (but no ring), tattoo (usually hidden) and mostly liberal views (also usually hidden) actually fit that well. I always felt like I had to tone myself down to be on their level. It just got old.

When The Prince gives up his early morning nap, I'm going to look into getting back into a playgroup again. Maybe it will be different as a regular member instead of an officer.

Anyone out there in a mom's club? What was/is it like?

In other news...did you know that most people have staph bacteria living in their nose? You should never pick your nose and then scratch your eye (or pick a scab or open sore) without washing your hands first. Apparently, this is one way people get styes and other infections in their eye. I recently read this somewhere. Thought I'd share.

I bet your eye is itching RIGHT NOW.

2 Comments:

  • I'm in a moms club. I like it okay but yeah, I never quite feel like I can be myself. They're all kind of goody two shoes. Maybe it's just this chapter or maybe everyone pretends to be like a perfect stepford mom because they don't want to be judged as a bad mom or something.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/23/2006 04:13:00 PM  

  • Hi Bethy! Thanks for your input.

    Is Bethy really the only one out of all the people who come around that's been in a mom's club? I'm truly surprised. I know Melissa from Suburban Bliss belongs to one. I thought it would be more prevalent.

    Hmmm...interesting.

    By Blogger IzzyMom, at 1/24/2006 12:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home