Saturday, January 14, 2006

Who's Your Mama?

Friday
I met a friend at the mall today. Our daughters are good friends so we chose the mall with the big-ass play area so they could run around and get their ya-ya's out while we talked. In my head, I refer to this as the Boob Job Mall. Why? Well, because it is a an "upscale" mall intended for people with an excessive amount of disposable income (which begs the question--> Then why do YOU go there? And I would reply..."For the Haagen Dazs play area. Duh") and I swear to God, every woman in this mall that is not a nanny, a grandma or me, has a boob job. Apparently they are the affluent woman's must-have accessory. But anyway, the girls played awhile and when my friend left, I strolled around with my kids for a little bit. And you know what? I still got it! Even without the requisite pair of grapefruit halves sitting on my chest, I still attracted many favorable appraising looks. What do you mean from who? From men! Now, let me remind you, I am a mother of two; one is only 7 months old. I have lamented on this very blog over my 15 lbs of baby weight that will not budge despite a regular workout. Furthermore, I frequently feel that I don't devote enough time to making myself appealing to the opposite sex, including my rockstar of a husband, but apparently, I still got IT! Maybe I shouldn't get too terribly excited about getting once and twice-overed by men that are hanging out at the mall in the middle of the afternoon but whatever...better than being ignored by them, which is a frequent complaint of women as they start to get older. NOT that I'm old yet, mind you. But many women do complain about being invisible to the opposite sex. I don't know what to tell them because...I STILL GOT IT!!! (as noted in previous posts, whenever I seem insufferably conceited, I'm JOKING)

Are you familiar with the store Hot Topic? I was looking into this store as I walked past and while it looks like they have oodles and oodles of super cool, edgy and predominantly black gear, I had to reach back into my past when I was a too-cool-for-school-dressed-in-all-black art fag girl (to anyone not familiar with the term, it's not meant to be an insult to homosexuals and basically, has nothing to do with being gay so please...no lectures ) and ask myself, if you get it at the mall, isn't it like the total antithesis of cool? Isn't the mall, at least for the cooler-than-cool, a place to be avoided at all costs? Maybe it's not like that anymore. I dunno. It just struck me as oxymoronic. Maybe I'm over-thinking it...lol

In other news...

While I have gotten like 8 zillion hits the past few days on this blog, very few chose to de-lurk. I gotta know...is it me? Do I smell? Was it something I said? Do I scare you? I'm just curious. And also a little hurt that only one person bothered to congratulate me on my new job. I am so fucking psyched but apparently you are not. Oh well. If you choose to be a dud and not do the happy dance with me, I guess that's your own lame-ass choice. I still love you, even if you totally suck ;-)

4 Comments:

  • I wasn't going to leave a comment (aka "de-lurk) but since it could bring about world peace I thought I'd say hi. Just popped onto your blog via the "next post" button on the top right. So, HELLO! Feel free to stop by "my place" sometime and say hi. Cheers to you, congrats on your promotion and on still havin it after 2 kids.
    :)

    By Blogger Maria Baker, at 1/13/2006 10:14:00 PM  

  • hello

    By Blogger Queenie, at 1/14/2006 08:20:00 PM  

  • Wizzy,

    As for "hot topic"

    I had my nose pierced when I was 17. That was 10 years ago.

    I shopped at Salvation Army and in my boyfriend's Grandmas Closet to pull out old crap from the 70's, terry cloth shirts, jeans, whatever I could find. Funky old costume jewelry, namely funky rings.... It was all about the hunt and the kick ass find. I know you are almost 10 yeard older than me, so I wonder what was kick ass to you? jordache jeans with zippers down the back? Jelly bracelets? Crimped hair? LOL.

    Now kids who do that are more like the kids who are more emo or punk than goth or metal, and while the two collide, goth is the generall black dressing, heavily pierced crowd. Emo/punk are usually the ones who still get good grades and you would actually allow in the same room as your children.

    But see, it has all become commercialized. I was cool like that BEFORE everyone else was cool like that. And therefore, as soon as someone made it mainstream to dress like that, you and I would have hopped the fuck off that bus, because mainstream was NOT cool.

    Cool to me? Hmmm.... Beastie Boys. Rage Against the machine. 70's rock. some 80's rock (cars, police, I have my favorites)

    But I am probably not seen as cool anymore.

    Too old.

    LOL
    M

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/15/2006 01:17:00 AM  

  • Jelly bracelets? Crimped hair? AS IF! Ewwww! Now I admit to wearing Jordache. I was in like 8th grade, though. Cut me some slack! (but I know nothing about zippers in the back!????) Later, when my sense of "style" began to develop, I wore a lot of vintage stuff and a lot of black accessorized with mean-looking shoes, funky jewelry, retro sunglasses, fishnets etc. I also liked 70's long weird hostess-y dresses cut short and worn w/ Docs. Later, I moved away from mostly black and into more funky vintage stuff like Pucci-styled halters, hot pants and suede go-go boots. I partied through the late 80's and early 90's in total style, thank you very much! But yes, as soon as something became mainstream, it was dropped from rotation, so to speak. You totally get what I meant, which is good. At first I thought maybe I'd insulted you...lol I dig the Beasties, too, BTW.

    By Blogger IzzyMom, at 1/15/2006 02:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home