Wednesday, January 25, 2006

It's Been a Year

On this day last year, I got an email from my old college friend Lynn's husband, in reply to one I had sent her a few weeks after Christmas. He asked that I please call him at my earliest convenience. A bad feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. I did not need to call him to know something terrible had happened to my friend. But I did call him and my worst fears were confirmed. Lynn had been killed in a car accident Christmas night. They were on their way home from a family gathering when they hit a patch of black ice, lost control of the car and crashed. She was ejected and died instantly. This news saddened me beyond words and it still does.


I know it's customary to say only good things about those who have passed on but this was a person that truly warranted all the positive things everyone said about her. I won't go on and on because I know it's a downer but I really miss Lynn. She was a great friend and a very special person. For me, the world is a slightly lesser place without her in it.

3 Comments:

  • Wow. That is sad. I feel terrible for her husband. I don't know how that must be, and how would you ever cope. I love that you commented on it.... because it is obviously what is on your mind today (wed), and just another piece of "everyday life." Which as you know, I highly recommend commenting on. It actually made me feel good to know that you remember Lynn like that.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/26/2006 02:22:00 PM  

  • P.S. I had a college friend who died in a car accident. We were shocked. I heard it on the radio, and another classmate and I traveled over an hour to go to his funeral. I will never forget how everyone there looked at us like "who is that" (small town) but how his mom was the nicest lady and kept commenting over and over how much it meant to her that we would come all that distance to say goodbye. It was a difficult night but it was worth all the stares from millions of people we didn't know, to say goodbye to one person that we did know.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/26/2006 02:24:00 PM  

  • Thank you for commenting on this and for sharing your own story. I think people sometimes forget that on the other side of a blog is an actual person with real-life shit going on sometimes. It's not all fun and "dammits" and precocious children...

    By Blogger IzzyMom, at 1/26/2006 09:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home