Wednesday, February 01, 2006

True Confessions Thursday

How many of you keep your blog a secret* from friends, family, spouses or everyone?

*anonymous posts are enabled ;-)

Addendum: Thank you all for chiming in. I just wanted to see where I was in comparison to a fairly random sampling. My husband knows about my blog but he is the only one. He talked me into starting one (and he's created a monster). The catch is that he's not allowed to read it. I told him that it made me feel weird even though I'm not saying anything that he couldn't read and he said it was okay with him. He opened it up once from work to show someone a picture and I saw it on my Sitemeter and sent him an email that said "Get OFF my blog!"

My two best friends don't even know about it. They live in different states but still... Is it wrong of me to keep something that has become a freakishly large part of my life a secret from them? I just feel like the more people from your real life that read your blog, the more you will inadvertently censor yourself. I would like to believe that I'm being fairly honest and true to myself here. I mean I don't divulge ALL the details of my life but the ones I do, my thoughts and feelings etc. are all real and true. I'm not sure I'd want to compromise that. And furthermore, even if I did want to tell them, how could I explain that I've been doing this since November and never said a word? It feels deceitful.

My family doesn't know either. I don't feel an obligation to share this with them but if I knew they were reading it, I'd feel very awkward. This is just one of the reasons why I am hesitant with photos and personal details. I felt like if a friend or family member googled me, they wouldn't find this because my full name isn't all over it but there's always the possibility of someone seeing a photo of me or my husband or kids and going to one of them "Hey! Isn't this your sister, cousin, daughter-in-law, best friend etc?" That would be very weird and uncomfortable, I think.

So what should I do? Tell my friends? Continue to live a secret blog life? Your advice is welcome.

14 Comments:

  • mine blogs are a secret from everyone except my online friends, sad huh?

    By Blogger Sunny Delight, at 2/02/2006 12:39:00 AM  

  • My mom and inlaws don't know -- but my friends lurk and my huz knows and just ignores me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2006 07:35:00 AM  

  • Friends know. Husband and family do not.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2006 10:07:00 AM  

  • Sometimes I wish my family didn't know. But then I figure I Could scare them away if I want them gone. And my husband also ignores me. LOL

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/02/2006 11:11:00 AM  

  • Everybody under the sun knows. In fact, my in-laws read it everyday. (I tell myself I'm just preparing everyone for the book, getting them used to dirty words and colorful situations one teeny post at a time. LOL)

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 2/02/2006 11:34:00 AM  

  • Everyone knows. Which is a bummer, because I am sitting on some funny stuff, that I can't share because I don't like the mental picture of my mom reading about my sex life and things. Ewww.

    By Blogger Mel, at 2/02/2006 02:22:00 PM  

  • I totally agree with the prepping for the book thing. Because someday it WILL be a book. And I will head up a giant blogger book club and Oprah's book club can kiss my ass.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/02/2006 02:39:00 PM  

  • I used to keep my blog semi-secret at work, but not anymore.

    I guess I'm an open book. Or Web page.

    By Blogger DeAnn, at 2/02/2006 10:10:00 PM  

  • I have been through a zillion blogs trying to keep them secret from certain people. My sister has a bad habit of sending family members links and then I feel like I can't be the totally rude ass I want to be...so my latest blog is super-secret. I am just sick of the fam thinking I am so all-fired weird and I need a place to blow off steam.

    By Blogger SUEB0B, at 2/02/2006 11:05:00 PM  

  • Me and girls just talked about this last night - they said they would start a new blog and keep it a secret -- so they could be REALLY truly honest -- and well, bitch about their husbands :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/03/2006 08:42:00 AM  

  • I'm scared for what happens when too many people I know start reading it (if that happens) in fact I deleted a post recently in fear of someone that shouldn't read it, reading it.

    By Blogger BabyonBored, at 2/04/2006 04:50:00 PM  

  • Hi Izzy,
    Cool blog!

    Regarding your question on whom I share my blog with, I have "gradually" told my family and friends about it. At first, I wanted it for more of a writing blog, but I decided I wanted a more well-rounded blog like my life. So...I have shared it with my parents, friends and immediate family. My hubbie and kids don't really care about it. My parents love to see what is going on in my life even though I tell them about it anyway. This is a more interesting way to share with them my inner thoughts and writing. I have a few friends who visit occasionally.

    I think it takes time and adjustment to determine whom you tell about it.

    Keep on blogging!

    -Lisa
    ps-please come back to my blog and see my comment on my contest! Thx!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 2/05/2006 12:37:00 PM  

  • my husband knows...but doesn't bother to read. friends know, but not family. i think it's a journal and you share whats on your journal to whomever you want. (i happened on yours by clicking "next blog" up on the right of my blog...)

    By Blogger becca, at 2/05/2006 01:04:00 PM  

  • Don't tell any of your friends or relatives. I have seriously limited myself now to what I can say. My mom has asked me not to get so personal on my blog, my mother-in-law reads it so I can't blog about the ex all that much. I can't bitch about my sister... I can't complain when my friends are being idiots. Keep it MUM!

    By Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™, at 2/07/2006 10:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home